UVB lighting is a confusing topic for many reptile keepers, and to be fair, there are a lot of variables at play, and a lot can go wrong when you don’t know what you’re doing. Common questions we see about reptile UVB include:
- Do snakes need UVB?
- Do nocturnal reptiles need UVB?
- How much UVB does my reptile need?
- What is the difference between UVA and UVB?
- Does a full-spectrum bulb provide UVB?
- What’s the difference between T8 and T5 HO UVB bulbs?
- Why are linear fluorescents better than compacts or coils?
- Should I use a mercury vapor bulb or a heat lamp + linear UVB combo?
- Is a reflective fixture really necessary?
- Where should I put my UVB light?
- What are the best brands for UVB lighting, or does it not matter?
ReptiFiles answers these questions and more in our latest article, which was written for The BioDude in exchange for his wonderful article: “How to Build a Bioactive Terrarium for Your Reptile: An Introduction.” Of course, the topic of UVB, even condensed, is still extensive, so we decided to split the finished product into two separate articles: