For your convenience, we have put together a leopard gecko starter kit with supplies proven to facilitate the best health of your new pet. In other words, we’ve essentially done the shopping for you! ?
Although leopard geckos are commonly recommended as a “first pet” for children and adults alike, please note that even the easiest reptiles can be expensive and high-maintenance to keep. If you are not prepared to purchase everything required for the health and wellbeing of a leopard gecko, this is not the pet for you.
Click the link for each item to see which specific products we recommend. And just so you know, this page does contain some affiliate links, but using them won’t cost you a penny extra.
- 36″ front-opening terrarium
- Halogen flood heat bulb
- Dimmable heat lamp with ceramic socket
- 22″ T5 HO forest UVB bulb
- 24″ T5 HO fluorescent light fixture (may contain UVB bulb)
- Flat basking rock (ex: flagstone, stone tile, etc.)
- Temperature gun
- Digital thermometer/hygrometer with probes
- Power strip with programmable digital timer
- Hides (at least 2)
- Sphagnum moss
- Leopard gecko decor kit
- Food dish
- Water dish
- Calcium supplement (no vitamin D)
- Multivitamin powder
- Kitchen scale
- Live feeder insects
Approximate investment before leopard gecko purchase: $520-$625 USD
Keep in mind that everything should be purchased and set up BEFORE you get the gecko. This will save you a lot of stress, and does your new pet a big favor, too.
We also recommend finding an experienced reptile veterinarian in your area. It’s always better to do a little bit of research when nothing’s wrong than to find yourself in a panic when your pet gets sick. Start with the ReptiFiles Reptile Vet Directory!
Where to Buy a Leopard Gecko
If you’re looking to buy a pet leopard gecko, the best place to go is ReptiFiles’ official partner, HappyDragons.com! All breeders listed on the HappyDragons marketplace are thoroughly vetted for legitimacy and held to high standards in ethics and husbandry.
Leopard Gecko Care:
- Introduction to Leopard Geckos
- Shopping List
- Terrarium Size and Cohabitation
- Lighting, Temperature & Humidity Needs
- Substrate (Bedding) Options
- Decorating Your Leopard Gecko’s Enclosure
- What to Feed Your Leopard Gecko
- Handling Tips & Leopard Gecko Body Language
- Common Diseases, Illnesses & Other Health Questions
- Additional Resources