- Shell is cracked, chipped, broken, bleeding
- Collision with sharp object in enclosure
- Contact with a predator (ex: the family dog)
- Bullying from other turtles
Rinse the shell with saline (how to create sterile saline solution) and apply povidone iodine antiseptic. Allow to dry before placing the turtle back in its tank.
In the case of severe injuries, cover the treated area with sterile gauze and consult an experienced reptile veterinarian. The turtle may need to be dry docked for recovery.
More red-eared slider health topics:
- Algae Buildup
- Dry Docking
- Fungal Infection
- Hard Water Buildup
- Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)
- Overgrown Beak
- Respiratory Infection
- Shell Rot
- Swollen Eyes
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) Deficiency
This page contains affiliate links. Here’s what that means for you.