- uncontrolled twitching/jerking
- affected gecko will likely lose its perch and fall to the ground
- weight loss
- not enough vitamins
- not enough calcium (“calcium crash”)
TreatmentCheck the gecko’s calcium sacs if you can — these are how mourning geckos store dietary calcium for future use. You should be able to see two prominent white ovals through the translucent skin under her neck. If you don’t see anything, she’s likely calcium deficient and may also be exhibiting symptoms of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD).
- Dust feeder insects with a calcium powder like Rep-Cal with Vitamin D3 or Miner-ALL Indoor.
- Offer a small dish of loose calcium powder on a gecko feeding shelf.
- Install a low-intensity UVB like the Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Coil UVB.
- Offer a small dish of prepared CGD at least 2x weekly, alongside live dusted insects.
- Make sure you are using a reputable CGD brand.